ME

ME

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Isolation

Positivity and negativity vie for dominance in my outlook; the positive frequently requires a conscious effort, whilst the negative surreptitiously manoeuvres itself into my soul whenever emotional and physical stamina is at low ebb. The approach of Christmas is having an emotionally bad effect, as I go through my address book and see the number of “friends” who’ve never been in touch at all since health problems removed me from the socializing circuit. Those who I used to regularly meet up with at gigs, concerts, art previews etc. have never bothered to make any contact, whilst others I knew on a more casual basis, even as a shoulder to cry on and a listening ear, still do make the occasional contact. Of course, not being able to go out to work narrows enormously the number of people one is likely to meet! My primary local contacts now tend to be those I meet at ‘Open Church’ and, I quite often feel that those friends I’ve met only in cyberspace are truer friends than many of those with whom I had more frequent “real life” contact. The internet is truly a lifesaver.

Real world friends can almost be counted on the fingers of one hand, apart from some who simply maintain the annual Christmas round robin type of contact. At the worst moments, I feel like I must have betrayed people by not being able to socialize, albeit by force of circumstance rather than choice but, at this time of year the sense of isolation bites much harder. Isolation is frequently more difficult to cope with than the, at times excruciating, pain and fatigue which initially forced one into the limbo of seclusion. Unfortunately, the effort required for any degree of socializing demands such a heavy payback, and only a fool could look forward to payback time!

4 comments:

Laura-Marie said...

Wishing you warmth and the all the best. The internet friends are cheering for you.

love,
Laura-Marie

Malcolm said...

Thanks Laura-Marie. Your wishes are much appreciated!

Martyn said...

I've lost contact with lots of folk as well over the years of working from home, and through a period I had of depression when I really didn't want to have people around me. I'm now beginning to make new buddies through cyberspace among other things and it's really satisfying. Getting to know you via the internet has been both a pleasure and a privilege and I feel honoured to count you as a friend.

Malcolm said...

Thanks Martyn - the privilege and honour is most definitely reciprocal!