ME

ME

Monday, April 23, 2007

Outpacing Myself?

Why should I feel a sense of failure when I resort to pain-killers once more? I don’t know that there is an answer to that question but, I’ve always been reluctant to consume these items.

I’ve never particularly liked cocktails comprising paracetamol, codeine phosphate, ibuprofen etc and, it’s with the greatest reluctance that (as a result of the renewed cyclical dance of nagging pains in wrists, elbows, hips, knees) I had to admit positive thinking is not enough in and of itself.

Perhaps the lack of acupuncture sessions, my last two appointments having to be cancelled, has contributed to my present dis-eased state of being, or maybe my positive outlook has led recently to my overdoing things.

The problem is, I always feel that I have my ‘pacing’ under control and, attempt to finish, or at least draw to a temporary halt, any task I undertake whilst I still have a little energy in reserve.

Unfortunately, the shattered-ness only appears after many hours (even days) delay.


Why should I feel a sense of failure when I have to resort to painkillers? A simple answer could be my failure to fully appreciate how little exertion my body can cope with, no matter how much rest it takes!

2 comments:

MadPriest said...

There is no moral reason for taking or not taking pain relief. In fact, it may be immoral not to take them if their rejection means that you effect others in negative ways.
The questions you are faced with are purely physical ones. Medication will make you drowsy and possibly nauseous and may effect your long term physical health. Are these possibilities worth comfort in the present.
As a Christian, who tries to leave the future up to God, I always go for relief in the present. If nothing else it takes a lot of pressure off my wife, who has to put up with enough as it is.

Malcolm said...

Thanks for your comment Jonathon. I've not really viewed it as a moral issue, it's simply one of my irrational foibles; quite unusually I don't have this attitude towards other medications I 'need' to take!

"Relief in the present" is the only realistic option - the present is all we have!