ME

ME

Sunday, January 27, 2008

A PAIN IN THE ....

It’s only when I sit a certain way. Correction; it’s sometimes when I’m sitting still, at other times when I shuffle my bum to the back of the chair. Truth be told, it’s worse when I lean forward, to put something down, from a seated position except, when I stand up and reach for something it’s sometimes even more of a pain. Come to think of it, it could be when I take a sudden step forward; at least that’s when it causes my leg to fold on me and I lose my balance.

Who am I trying to kid; all I really need is plenty of fresh distractions, that way my awareness of it would simply dissipate.

A few minutes ago, whilst standing by the kitchen door, it suddenly attacked again! A searing pain shoots through my thigh but, unlike sciatica, there’s no apparent reference back or forwards from the hips or spine, nor is there any downwards extension through to the calf muscles. All is (apparently) encapsulated within the rear of the thigh. The physio suspects that it’s a nerve problem.

Pain-killers hardly touch it, but then, how would I know if they were being effective? It’s the brutally spasmodic, crippling, lightning flash that’s the real pain; there have actually been periods today, of almost 20 minutes duration, when I’ve not been startled by it. Meantime, a manageable dull bruising throb is much easier to ignore than the staccato stabbing.

My diagnosis is that “it’s a real pain!”

If only it wasn’t such a discomforting thought, I could add that “at least it keeps me on my toes!”

2 comments:

Tim Hodgens said...

Malcolm,

It just doesn't sound like that much of a hoot does it?

I watched the video you have on your blog...no sugar coating there!

But quick learner that I am, is there anything I can do for you?

Tim

Malcolm said...

Hi Tim,

Thanks for popping by once again.

Glad that you watched the video, it's there to inform as ME has so often fallen prey to the tabloid "Yuppie Flu" tag.

I'm fortunately (only) a moderate sufferer but, even that proved sufficiently debilitating for me to have to give up work.The day to day unpredictability was the hardest thing to come to terms with.