ME

ME

Sunday, December 07, 2008

The Art of Affirmation

 

Sometimes I think that I’ve grasped it, at other times the whole technique seems to elude me. That sense of gratitude for the many blessings that have come my way is so easily submerged beneath current setbacks, whereas the fact of these setbacks should serve as sufficient reminder of those blessings, rather than a blanket which veils them from view.

 

To give thanks, show appreciation for, the simple fact of being, ensures that the simple ‘given’ takes pride of place. It’s always easy to celebrate a great step forward but, the more consciously we are able to affirm each action, each moment of our lives, those instances become more worthy of affirmation.

 

Sometimes it feels as if one should squeeze the last drop of pleasure out of each experience, wallow in the moment and, if possible ….  What am I talking about, we should try to squeeze the last drop of pleasure, out of each experience, all of the time!

 

Right, I’ve grasped the theory, now all that’s needed is the determination and stamina to practise this affirmative art.

2 comments:

Tim Hodgens said...

Hi Mal,

Re: "Sometimes it feels as if one should squeeze the last drop of pleasure out of each experience, wallow in the moment and, if possible …. What am I talking about, we should try to squeeze the last drop of pleasure, out of each experience, all of the time!"

I have lots of thoughts about each paragraph in your post, all very favorable.

But with this quote, I wonder about the wallowing and the squeezing the last drop of pleasure out of each experience. I get the pleasure part, but the wallowing... Are you saying "love your misery?" And maybe that kind of "wallowing" isn't exactly pleasure, but it would be an affirmation of existence, and it certainly adds the magic bullet of mindfulness.

Very existential.

BTW, you may want to take a peek at my latest post re "Why does it have to be so difficult all the time?" In it, I also hint about how in depression, the positive recollections are banished in the service of keeping the depression "alive."

I'd love to hear your thoughts on that.

Tim

Tim Hodgens said...

Mal,

On another note...have you ever looked at Ivan Illych's book: Medical Nemesis? You can find the entire book reproduced on the net.

I think you'd like it.

Tim