ME

ME

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Chilli-ing Out

After just over one and a half good days, the seemingly inevitable collapse took a swift, although on this occasion mercifully brief, swipe at me. Yesterday, I managed to make reasonable progress with the Christmas decorations, as well as performing my usual chef’s duties. Today, after a reasonably lengthy lie-in, I managed to prepare my own variant ‘Chilli con Carne’ and par-boiled the herb and spice infused potatoes ready for roasting this evening.

Suddenly, early evening, the living-room lights seemed far too bright … pure sensory overload, whilst my hands, feet and torso became excessively cold. A general sense of discomfort and tetchiness soon overwhelmed my earlier affability. The good news, this time, is that forty minutes rest (blanket covered on the sofa) brought me back to a near human state of being. By the time our guest, Helen’s sister Janet, arrived for the evening meal, we were all able to share and enjoy each other’s company, a few good laughs, as well as the chef’s special concoction. A bottle of ‘Vina Tarapaca’ Cabernet Sauvignon 2004, proved a more than adequate companion for the Chilli.

Alongside the 'premature' narrative line of our Advent Calendar, the Christ child arrived on the 12th December rather than the ‘prolonged labour’ I anticipated earlier, [ tonight “The Shepherds didn’t know what was happening”, they are not alone], the contents of the Xmas Crackers provided a fresh source of mirth; tawdriness is all!

Despite the roller-coaster ride my physical (and consequently emotional) health takes me on, I am always wonderfully amazed by the consistency and intensity of the love my beloved and I share.

In this day the Lord has made, I am glad to rejoice!

No comments: