ME

ME

Monday, December 12, 2005

Walk Like An Egyptian

After some 13 hours bedrest and, freshly emerged from my warm duvet lair, the doorbell rings. Forgetting that I’m me, make a swift dash to the staircase and, foot on the top step my knee-joint goes into painful spasm. Undaunted, I revert to a crablike gait, hands firmly grasping the rail and, just manage to catch the parcel delivery man as he prepares to retreat.

An uncomfortable re-ascent of the staircase follows, to grab and apply my knee support. Thinking of the various strappings that I apply to shoulders, elbows etc. on a multiplicity of occasions, my thoughts then turned to the Ancient Egyptians.

Perhaps we’ve got it all wrong about these bandaged figures, recovered from the various sarcophagi! Maybe the bandages weren’t applied post-mortem but, rather, had been applied at various life stages to deal with the most excruciating muscular and joint pains.

Makes you think, dunnit?

No comments: