ME

ME

Monday, March 20, 2006

Crazy World

What a topsy-turvy world we’re living in; on the third anniversary of the Iraq War we have Dubya still proclaiming how much progress has been made, whilst Iyad Allawi, former interim PM, declares ‘Iraq in civil War’. Although some analysts regard Allawi’s remarks as political manoeuvring, I cannot help but sympathize with his remark, "If this is not civil war, then God knows what civil war is."  

Elsewhere, we  read of a situation in Iraq where “From a physician's viewpoint, liberation means rising infant mortality, critical shortages of medicines, terrorized doctors and the return of diseases once under control.”. It certainly puts some of our concerns about the NHS, here in the UK, into perspective.

In the UK we have a new church calling itself the Christian Council of Britain, “a group set up to represent Christian values and the Christian Heritage of the country”, which is facilitated by the BNP. It does seem strange that the BNP should use Hebrew Scriptures to support their racist ideology and, should wish to describe themselves as defenders of the values of Jesus the Jewish troublemaker. The Methodist Church has already spoken out against the CCOB.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mal. I just got a look at Helen's blog: really imposing and impressive. I wanted to comment to her, but since I'm not a Microsoft person, there were difficulties. So please give her my best. Wonderful to meet two British Methodists. (I am a retired Methodist minister, but you likely wouldn't notice that from my blog-- also a Quaker).

I appreciated your comment to my 'Christocentric post'. I've just made a response, but, thinking you might not get back there, I'll include it here:

"Mal, I'm real glad to hear that your British Friends tend to be Christocentric.
Unprogrammed Friends in this country may be different because of the torments the society went through: going from extreme exclusivity in the 19th Century to extreme inclusivity in the 20th. Today they take in and welcome many non-christocentric, nay, non-Christian people, who may even achieve a high place in Meeting governance.