ME

ME

Sunday, March 05, 2006

more things in heaven and earth ...

God put me on earth to entertain people”, so said Suzi Quatro on The Heaven & Earth Show (BBC1). I’m not questioning the sincerity of the remark but, I just thought how easy it is to say that when one has spent most of their life in showbusiness. “God put me on earth to be a shelf-stacker, an accountant, a clerical assistant, a till operator”, somehow for me can never carry the same conviction.

What if the breaks hadn’t come for SQ, as is the case with so many talented would be entertainers, and she had to put her showbiz career on the backburner, would she still so confidently express that “God put me on earth to entertain people”? It’s all far too glib a statement to make ex eventu. Or perhaps there’s an underlying fatalistic acceptance of a caste system; is everything pre-ordained and, our life choices simply an illusion?

A further point, raised on the Heaven & Earth Show; did Tony Blair simply say God would be the judge on the Iraq war, or was there also an implication earlier in the interview (as suggested by Peter Tatchell) that the war was God’s judgement? As I didn't see the Parkinson programme, I'm not sure what delusional tendencies I've missed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi SinnaLuvva

After fixing a glitch on my digi-box, I managed to watch Parkinson yesterday evening. Of all the comments Blair made, I found this the most perplexing and unsettling.

"I think if you have faith about these things, then you realise that that judgement is made by other people... and if you believe in God, it's made by God as well."

Malcolm said...

Thanks for popping by Graham. The quote is indeed unsettling, to me he definitely implies that his decision to go to war was indeed God's.

From a faith perspective it's quite legitimate to say that in the end God will be the judge; that's quite different to saying that God took you to war. Bush and Blair seem to be the Constantine of our times; let's hope and pray that they won't be as influential on the future development of Christendom!