ME

ME

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Cool Clean Water gets me Steamed Up

It really is quite remarkable, the things we take for granted; it only takes one little snag to occur, in whatever we have planned, to make us grouchy and ungrateful and yet, we so easily overlook the plenitude of blessings which are our daily lot in the affluent world.

In the present heatwave, I must express my gratitude at having clean fresh drinking water on tap (quite literally) and, it’s even better to have it chilled, straight from the regularly replenished jugs in the refrigerator. I’ve got to admit a preference for drinking the fermented juice of the grape but, it doesn’t require too much reflection to realize water is so much more essential!

How much political and technical goodwill would be required to ensure that everyone on planet earth had access to a clean water supply? Why, in a world of plenty, do we allow people to go hungry and thirsty? Money can always be found for weapons of destruction (and mass destruction) yet, even in the developed world there are people who simply subsist rather than live.

Somehow, we all seem far too complacent about criminal levels of inequality and injustice, both at home and around the globe; we always seem to look out for number one, at both the personal and the political level, and ignore the social cost.

I was just going to make a quick comment about simple blessings but having visited the Dropping Knowledge website, earlier this afternoon, I felt obliged to ask a couple of questions. I’ve still got to post a question on the site but, I do really feel it’s a global initiative worth supporting. Will it have any effect? I don’t know, but we’ve got to start somewhere. 67 days remain until the Table of Free Voices assembles in Berlin; why not visit http://www.yourquestion.org
and find out what it’s all about! It’s good to ask questions but, the answers may be a good deal harder!

*****************************

PS 6 July 2006: You can see the first of my questions, to Your Question.org,here!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link. I've just been checking out the website. Looks interesting. I'm sure the meteorologist will tell us otherwise but it does feel as if this corner of the planet is warming up. I'm looking forward to the promised weekend cooler conditions.

It does bring it home to me how fortunate we are in the West to have running water. The thought of walking miles to a well or bore hole on a day like today is unimaginable.