ME

ME

Monday, July 03, 2006

A Tinkerbell Moment and Boys Will Be Boys

Last night, a Tinkerbell moment, a tiny air bubble glowing in the full spectrum light! The tiny neon glow dances around, in close proximity to the waters surface. It’s the first time I’ve observed such a juvenile; it’s only with great difficulty that I’m able to see the semi translucent tail. I stare in wonderment; the mere millimetres long neon glow also possesses tiny sparkling eyes. Such solitude; I suspect that the adults had been enjoying eggs for breakfast sometime in the past couple of weeks and, this is the sole survivor.

In the non-illuminated tank, this morning, I look for this infant. Ten minutes later, through the semi-gloom, I bear witness to its darting dancing presence; such was my sense of wonderment last evening, I’d half expected it to have been a mere figment of my, and my beloved’s, imagination.

For the moment, the heavy-bellied female idles her time in glorious solitude. Across the tank, a frenetic wiggling occurs as the young males prepare to display, to fight and play. Fins erect like bold banners a tussle begins, testosterone at an all time high; the elder male, at times, keeps his distance; “they’ll learn one day”, I imagine the elder saying, “but boys will be boys. Was it really like that in my day?”

As spectator to these antics, I’m already beginning to feel exhausted but, it really is a wonderful display. Whatever the White Cloud Mountain Minnow lacks in stature, it certainly compensates for in terms of energy.

And now the chase of the female begins but, she’ll scatter the eggs when she’s ready.

No comments: