ME

ME

Monday, July 24, 2006

Moving Onwards

By Sunday morning the air had freshened a little, probably helped by our second thunderstorm on Saturday, and I actually managed to settle down to some reading before removing myself from bed. This morning, I followed the same routine, having discovered the appropriateness of that time, prior to the exertion of manoeuvring oneself from a recumbent position into a standing or sitting one, for the reading exercise. On this occasion I managed to read a couple more chapters of Richard Holloway ‘Doubts and Loves’ (subtitled What is left of Christianity?). A familiarity with the background and themes of this study makes the book very accessible and, I’ve long admired Holloway’s attitudes and his passionately committed type of writing.

Long gone are the days when I could immerse myself in the world of Dostoevsky’s characters and thrive, perhaps in an almost perverse way, on the resonances which insisted on merging themselves into my personal / spiritual experiences for years after. These days, I simply don’t have the stamina to cope with such drama.

Now, after that slight digression, back to Sunday; by mid-afternoon I managed a perspirational three quarters of an hour doing a bit of gardening, which produced an almost comfortable tiredness. It is really very satisfying to be able to report a couple of steps forward, after the retrograde effects of heat and humidity on my physical and emotional well-being.

Although the temperature is still a little high, for my hard to satisfy physiological type, I have no problem in rejoicing and giving thanks for this day the Lord has made.

No comments: