ME

ME

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Missing Winks

As a child and a young man, I absolutely knew that Tennis was a game for ladies and toffs; it was certainly of no interest to this working class kid. Mind you, sport was not a particular interest of mine, although I did, for a while, enjoy the tribal pleasure of supporting my then local football team, Sunderland FC. In general though, sport for me was symbolised by the arrogant bullyboy attitudes of the PE and Games teachers it was my misfortune to suffer under! That breed of obnoxious creature was perhaps the primary reason that I hated secondary school quite as much as I did.

All this is a prelude to saying how enjoyable I’ve just found the Wimbledon men’s final between Federer and Nadal. I really think that the scoring system, in Tennis, makes for much more excitement than is possible in any other game.

Now comes my grievance; this afternoon I was desperately in need of a nap / forty winks but, watching those two guys on Centre Court would not permit me to do what usually comes far too naturally. They’ll have to make amends for that, somehow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It really was a cracker of a match, wasn't it? Watching these two giants slug it out really was edge of the seat stuff. How different from the footy. For reasons passing understanding we watched some of the Cup Final and oh, deary me - these little men, running around, passing the little ball back and forth... What a bore! The only excitement was the penalty shootout at the end - in fact I wish they'd skipped the match and jumped to the shootout straightaway.

The moral, then, is simple. If you a nap next time, avoid the tennis and put on le foot instead. A ninty minute snooze is almost guaranteed.

Best wishes,

Peter

Malcolm said...

Hi Peter,

Problem is, if I was to put on the 'footy' it would be such a shock to my sensibilities (and nervous system) that I'd need to go for psychiatiric help!