ME

ME

Friday, July 14, 2006

"We are such dreams as stuff is made on"

A couple of days in robotic early start mode and, you’ve guessed it, this morning was payback time. Everything seemed to be going well, despite the normal erratic sleep pattern, when I briefly surfaced into a state of semi-alertness around 7.00am. Next thing I remember is my beloved saying it was 9.00am, in response to my vague enquiry. That little mystery will be returned to later!

One and a half hours later, I managed to remove myself from the duvet snare and, bleary-eyed, directed my feet to the bathroom, in the mistaken belief that a shower would refresh me. I really enjoyed the shower but, didn’t feel sufficiently energised to apply my emollient cream before getting dressed. Perhaps the effort of donning shirt, pants and slacks, was the proverbial straw (that broke the camels back).

A five minute rest, on the bed, was rudely disrupted by the piercing ring of the telephone at around 12.30pm. maybe it’s not quite so bad as the fabled “lost weekend” but, it certainly raises the case of the lost morning! Lost hours twice in one morning, therein lies a far deeper mystery.

With the telephonic disruption, I misguidedly leapt (albeit in slow motion) from the bed,
brain-throbbingly giddy and disoriented. From that point on, a further brief rest imposed itself on me, as I struggled to make sense of the day.

Now this is the big mystery; in being suddenly startled by an external ringing in my ears, the concept that I had been asleep provided my “eureka” moment. If it’s only in waking we become aware that we had been asleep, under what circumstances can we affirm that we have been awake? Perhaps I am quite simply a dream!

By this time ma belle Helene had returned to the homestead and, I eventually got around to preparing a delicious salmon savoury rice for lunch. My mind and body remained haze laden for a little while until I made the bold decision, to permit ma belle chauffeuse to propel me to the garden centre. That visit has already been recorded on ‘Mal’s Murmurings’ so I won’t bore you with it here but, you can be bored with it here!

No comments: