ME

ME

Thursday, July 13, 2006

A Taste of Progress

A relatively early start to the day, once again, and I’d already ventured down to ‘Open Church’ at St Marks shortly after 10.00am. Plenty of conversation was on the menu as several people, who I’d not seen for many months, were there for coffee or else en route to the Communion Service. Much to my surprise, more than an hour had passed before I felt ready to make the return walk home. This is such a vast improvement over what I was able to manage even a few months ago.

Having gone up to the garden pond, to feed the fish, a rest was called for and, I was able to relax in the knowledge that progress was being made. Of course, that early activity meant that I wasn’t able, or at least didn’t make the opportunity, to make a start on my ‘reading’ project. What I did find time for was a few short interludes in the garden, to see the wildflowers that had just come into bloom and enjoy watching the Small Heath, Ringlets and Meadow Brown butterflies that make such good use of the wildlife end of the garden.

Come the cool of the evening, having enjoyed a delicious ham pasta (a product of yours truly – of course) with my beloved, we ventured out into the garden; the better half busied herself clearing out some weeds, that have an incurable habit of trespassing upon the supposedly cultivated end of the garden, whilst I set to the task of topping up the pond. It really seems incredible, this summer, the amount of times I’m having to top up the water level; when this pond was first in situ we were up half the night baling it out, because of the torrential rain, and having visions of the fish being washed out and swept along the path into the drainage system!

After our modest endeavours in the garden, we retreat to the house and open a nicely chilled bottle of ‘Edward’s Lake Unwooded Chardonnay, NSW, 2003’, which appeals to both our palates. It’s with relief that I note we have several more bottles of this vintage in our cellar. We have been so fortunate recently in not having any dud wines to sully the palate. My favourite recent bottle was a ‘Chateau du Carpia, Bordeaux - Blanc Sec, 2003’, a quite special example of the Sauvignon Blanc / Semillon blend.

And now it’s time for my retreat, from the blogosphere, to savour another glass of Edward’s Lake! I relax with ma belle amoureuse and rejoice in this day the Lord has made.

No comments: