ME

ME

Sunday, February 17, 2008

you don't know how restless I made me

The day starts well, the curry I prepared last evening, and the specially prepared rice, is well up to standard. Mid-afternoon we venture out for a stroll around the block on a beautiful bright crisp day. Early evening, whilst setting up a couple of TV programmes to record I start having problems with the electronic programme guide and, rather than taking it in my stride, I start to become very tetchy. Suddenly, I’m feeling totally ill at ease with the world; an intense sense of frustration grabs me by the throat.

A total restlessness takes over and, to add to the troubles, the problems I was having with the aquarium lighting system (see second paragraph of ‘Stepping Out’, on Mal’s Murmurings) have intensified. Not only are the lights displaying a temperamental spasmodic dimming but, occasionally going out altogether. I’ve checked the fuses, even switched sockets but the same problems recur. Usually this would be a minor irritation; this evening the effect of this technical glitch seems almost traumatizing. I pace around, go out to the stable door to grab a nicotine fix, return briefly to the living room before stepping out again for a further fix, totally fazed by these inconsequential incidents.

Yesterday, we visited the DIY store to obtain some paint; about time I decorated the new ceiling, and the untiled areas of the wall, in the bathroom which have been crying out for attention for well over a year. A similar task remains in the kitchen; in this case four years on from the new damp course being installed four years ago. As Helen has the week off work, we felt it would be a good time to tackle these little decorating tasks. The fact that they’ve been neglected for so long reiterates to me just how lacking in stamina I’ve been for far too long. If only it was possible to forget that there was a time when I had energy, and an active lifestyle to go with it, perhaps my current frustration wouldn’t be so intense.

4 comments:

Tim Hodgens said...

Quite a roller coaster ride you have there!

I know what you mean..."if only I could forget"

For me that's with goofs, regrets, outright mistakes, "poor showings," etc.

For you, the rememberance of prior positive energy states backfires because you then compare it to current situation; am I correct there?

Not to be preachy or anything dumb like that, but I wonder what it would be like to entertain this "energetic" exploration of an image from the past...

For example, if an image from your past comes to you and in it you are moving easily and energetically, etc., take a moment to "step into" that image...and feel the feelings that go with that image - no comparisons or judgements allowed...just pure sensation - and then let that feeling state take up temporary residence in your mind...which will then generalize to your body as a sensation.

I just wonder....

and I thought of this since you seem to be so creative and visual...

whatcha think?

Tim

Malcolm said...

Thanks Tim, your comment is much appreciated. You're quite correct in your understanding regarding the 'backfiring' of rememberance.

I really intend to take up your advice to step into, and be absorbed in, this energetic rememberance; when all's said and done I do hope for a return to that state of being as I've already progressed so far in the past year.

It's all a question of balance really - learning to 'pace' my emotions in the same way that I have some success in pacing my physical activity.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Malcolm

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate to that kind of waves of frustration. Of things which you should take in your stride really getting to you and that in fact makes it all feel worse!

I hope you're able to step back and remember that the things you ARE able to do (be, feel, know) are good enough.

You could be as active as ten men and there would still be jobs left undone. No need to be so hard on yourself :)

Malcolm said...

Thanks Rachel, I do really appreciate your taking the trouble to visit my blog and, leaving such an encouraging comment.