ME

ME

Saturday, September 03, 2005

A Night's Slow Journey Into Sleep

Friday evening, went to the local Brewer's Fayre with ma belle amoureuse. I enjoyed my Lamb & Rosemary Suet pudding with mash potaotoes, peas and carrots though, I must admit, by the time I was finishing it off the cumulative effect of the salt used in the cooking was becoming a bit cloying. Strangely, for a one time salt lover, I never use salt in any of my preparations, preferring a subtle use of herbs and spices to draw out the flavour.

Second mistake of the evening was to have a decaffeinated coffee (1 sugar) on return home; that combined with the aftertaste of my meal produced an unpleasant bout of reflux. After that, the evening improved as we enjoyed a bottle of 'Rocca Colmontano, Marche Bianco IGT, 2003' whilst watching an episode of "Midsommer Murders".

Suddenly, as I got upstairs, shortly before 11.00pm exhaustion and general dis-ease overwhelmed me. Tried various ways, whilst still fully clothed, of lying down and variously contorting my body to find a degree of comfort. By 1.30am I felt sufficiently energised to go and clean my teeth, get undressed, apply medicinal ointments and, get myself into bed. A generally unsettled feel crept up on me once more and, after a few twists and turns - this way and that, gave the effort up as a bad job and found myself heading PC-ward. Better to write about discomforts than it is to put up with them; at least it seems to help!

No comments: