ME

ME

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Thinking aloud about NTL

Decided to uninstall AntiVir Classic from my laptop and, in it's place download and install ntlNetguard (only available to ntl cable broadband customers). This performs all the functions of AntiVir Personal Edition Premium (which is installed on my PC and Helen's laptop) plus pop-up and ad-blockers, as well as a Privacy manager and Form Filler/Password Manager. In common with AntiVir Premium, it has automatic updates and, scans e-mail. AntiVir Classic doesn't scan e-mails.

If I'm satisfied with it, I'll possibly change to Netguard on the two other machines when the AV Premium comes up for renewal. Why, because Netguard is free and, can be installed on up to three machines whereas, AV Premium costs 20 Euros per machine!

It's good to find ISP's starting to take some responsibility for security.

*************************

Further on the ntl front, they're currently upgrading all 300K connections to 1 Mb but, unfortunately they're capping it at 3Gb per month. Evidently, if one goes above that limit you'll have the option of upgrading (2Mb is capped at 30Gb and costs an extra £7 pm) or reverting to a slower speed. I'm not quite sure whether that slower speed will only be for the remainder of the month, starting the next month with a clean slate. The cap is what prevented me upgrading my connection at an earlier opportunity.

I'm not really sure how one calculates the usage!

No comments: