ME

ME

Sunday, September 25, 2005

To Love One's Enemy

To love one's enemies is the most difficult directive of Jesus, even loving one's neighbour is fraught with difficulty, especially when we realize how broad a definition of 'neighbour' is given by Jesus in the parable of the Good Samaritan. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could live without prejudice?

I hate prejudice and yet, my own life is so full of it! I'm just watching "Frost" (ITV1), a programme I always enjoy but, I find almost from the off my prejudices come to the fore. I almost cringe at the 'piety' of the victim's brother in law; a former lover of the victim I instantly sympathize with, recognizing his all too human frailty. Of course, in this case a forensic pathologist is called in and, she's frightfully middle-class, I take an instant dislike. The priest in the picture acts very guiltily and, I think that must be par for the job!

My bets are on the pious brother-in-law ... not that I've got any evidence but, he's pious isn't he? In a situation like this, loving one's enemy is certainly hard but, it's almost equally difficult to know who's the real friend!

*********************************
PS (10.19 pm) : I can't stand "know-alls" but, I was right!

No comments: