ME

ME

Monday, October 03, 2005

Auntie Beeb

Tonight's offering in the Hidden Decades season on BBC4 was quite brilliantly realized, "Our Hidden Lives" looked at the lives of four people in the immediate aftermath of WW2. The tensions and uncertainties in these ordinary lives were so sensitively portrayed and, the whole atmosphere of the piece struck chords with me; it really is amazing how much I recognized of that era, in spite of the fact that I was a mere 1 years old at the time. Of course the austerity years were so much a part of my childhood. A totally involving gentle production.

Earlier in the evening, we caught (minus the first fifteen minutes) "The Battle for Britain's Soul" (BBC2), tonight centring on the eighteenth century. We both are looking forward to the rest of the series, it was simultaneously informative and entertaining. For me it succeeded where a more po-faced presentation could have proved a complete turn-off. Thank you BBC.

No comments: