ME

ME

Monday, August 29, 2005

Dragonfly watch

As the day progressed so did the sunshine and, in spite of a rather wet start, we have had an afternoon of glorious sunshine accompanied by a light refreshing breeze.

Helen and I had a most rewarding visit to our local nature reserve, where the dragonflies (hawker variety) were putting on a fine display. Conditions were ideal and, it was wonderful to note the wonderful lime green iridescence of the heads on some of the large blue striped specimens.

Never before have I been so captivated by the (disproportionately) large eyes and, the sound of whirring wings. I felt quite privileged as one of them settled on my shirt front, where I was able to closely observe the massive orb eyes and menacing jaws.

Fortunately, Helen drove us up to a point quite close to the reserve's entrance which enabled my legs to hold out a little longer in the reserve itself. The last time we attempted to walk there, a general state of fatigue ensured it was a mission unaccomplished.

No comments: