ME

ME

Friday, August 19, 2005

A Rule of Thumb

This morning, in my Heterocon guise, I was rejoicing at the return of wrinkles and creases to my beleaguered thumb but, perhaps the optimism was misplaced. As I attempted to use the offending digit, during the preparation of tonights Savoury Salmon, Peppers and Mushroom Rice dish, things got rather awkward. Last night I had managed to use the kitchen knives without exerting undue thumb pressure, tonight the effort proved far too painful.

Perhaps the fact that late afternoon saw the return of my 'pale' swimmy fatigued state, played a minor role in the increased pain (or possibly, a decreased pain threshold)! In spite of that, with some assistance from my commis chef Helen, the meal proved succesful as always. Why did God make me so gifted in the culinary arts, which I only turned to in my later fifties; it makes it far more difficult to appreciate lesser cuisines? Still, at least it keeps me on my toes, such high standards to maintain.

Helen is glad to do anything to help but, I do have something of a stubborn streak that makes me labour on when perhaps I should rest!

No comments: