ME

ME

Monday, August 29, 2005

We are such dreams as stuff is made from

A night of fitful bouts of sound sleep, disrupted only by varied discomforts. Back ache, leg ache and chronic bouts of reflux are just a few of the luxuries bestowed on my past night's sleep.

Still, ours is not to worry, I also sustained considerable dream attacks. Does one have to seek out meanings or, should we simply revel in the sheer perversity of these subconscious visions?

Whether what I'm about to report on is one dream or a conflation of several nocturnal events, only the gods can tell. Once more I was back to college, indulging in mildly hedonistic pursuits as is the legacy which all students must honour. The obvious dream element was the fact that, this college was something of an intellectual power-house. Exam eve was approaching before the realization dawned that there was another campus to this college. For all my time there I should have been attending subsidiary lectures and tutorials at this alternate campus so, what I'd actually been studying was half of the course; why had no-one informed me? (Truth be told, no-one had informed me but, they were a nobody so I'd ignored their warnings!).

Before the exams, I had to pay a visit into town where I lost my wheelchair! The fact that I was in the best health I'd ever known and, had never been a wheelchair user, was a cause of some perplexity.

The clock ticked ominously and, panic set in. A suggestion was made that I should go to the Wearmouth (?) bridge and, I may find the lost article there. Each glimpse of the bridge turned out to be an illusion, a false horizon; the panic deepened, until I found the chair I wasn't able to settle the mind sufficiently to return to college. This was the point when I discovered the entrance to the alternate campus.

I did eventually reach the bridge which transmogrified into the greatest lost property office imaginable .... and then ... I awoke! All roads lead to nowhere!

In some way I realize that, my longstanding examination-phobia and, my current inability to cope with any travelling, do show themselves in this dream. Having said that, can it possibly have any significance?

Perhaps, from these dreams some stuff can be made!

No comments: