ME

ME

Friday, August 26, 2005

A Remarkable Woman

Recent days have found me thinking a lot about my late ‘Mum’, a feisty working class lass, who never forgot her roots. It’s really quite strange how, at times, our thoughts take control of us, rather than allowing us to remain in control. The dominant thought is of all the love I received and, was fortunately able to reciprocate.

The last seven years, or more, of her life were spent as an invalid, a role which never became her. Back in 1997, I had been given half-an-hour to get to the hospital if I wanted to see her again; a massive paralyzing stroke and, heavy haemorrhage from a consequent head injury, received as she fell, convinced the medics that she would a) never recover from the coma she had entered, subsequently modified to b) if she did come round, it could only be in a totally vegetative state; brain scans added weight to this prognosis. After several weeks in a coma, she whispered to me that she loved me but, none of the medical staff would accept it as other than an involuntary groan which I’d interpreted thus!

Mum proved them totally wrong but, her “bereavement” process for the total lack of mobility and, inability to carry on with any of the handicrafts she so delighted in, proved most traumatic. Right up until her death in May 2004, she was always, in her mind, doing her baking or leading meetings. It was so sad, to witness this formerly active person reduced to a total dependence on her imagination, in order to continue to serve her Lord, and any people who may need assistance. At the same time she largely managed to retain a lively, perceptive and incisive mind.

Every day, I thank God for her and, for all the lives she so positively touched, even as an invalid!

No comments: