ME

ME

Friday, July 22, 2005

A Heavy Drift

Having stretched my lower limbs a bit more than of late, I am pleased to report a relative absence of aches and pains in that quarter. The downside is that, since returning home I have been floating in a weird kind of void, unable to concentrate on anything. Even so, I managed to struggle through the preparation of a delicious Salmon savoury rice for dinner.

Come the evening, I drifted into watching the beginning of Mahler 5 on BBC4 (Mahler being one of my favopurite composers) but, was lacking the emotional stamina to properly listen. Having switched that off, put on a DVD of "On The Beach", not exactly a barrel of laughs, more a very worthy film on the ludicrousness of nuclear weapons ... with them around we're all victims! After an hour, the semblance of concentration dissipated into the ether. At least I can continue viewing at a later time, quite unlike the horrendous experience of cinema going!

Even a beautiful Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc could only tempt me to struggle through a glass and a bit. Shattered seems to be the best word to describe my current state of being. I am fortunate, I am in love with my wife who also loves me but, even that richness fails to alleviate my current emotional inertia.

Perhaps a good night's sleep will go some way to restore my powers of concentration; I don't think that's too much to ask.

No comments: