ME

ME

Sunday, July 03, 2005

LIVE 8 and sundry ramblings

Saturday, after a late emergence from the snoozepad, passed remarkably quickly! Really enjoyed dipping into the BBC coverage of LIVE 8 and found myself surprised by the performances that impressed me. To have so many significant performers on one stage in the course of 10 hours is a remarkable acheivement. One can only hope that it's function of consciousness raising has been equally significant! Problem is that the G8 World Leaders are FALLIBLE, and yes ... STUBBORN, HUMAN BEINGS just like you and me. Trouble is, being human means that they're probably JUST AS SELFISH AS YOU AND I and inevitably, to be where they are, they must have a POWER COMPLEX. Chances are, THEY ALSO HAVE A CONSCIENCE ... maybe we can start to MAKE POVERTY HISTORY.

Anyway back to the show: the performances that impressed me most were REM (no surprise there), Madonna (such a knockout performance ... I'm not her Nr.1 fan), Keane, Razorlight and Velvet Revolver. I enjoyed a lot more but, some of my viewing was disrupted by visitors, domestic chores, calls of nature etc. ... but, fortunately I have ten hours of VHS to skim through for the acts I missed.

In the afternoon, we went out for a Strawberry & Cream Tea at Berwick Grange, the Methodist Residential home where my father spent his last few years (from the age of 93 on). It made a pleasant change although, many of the visitors for this fund-raiser turned out to be the same ones who attend the coffee mornings at Helen's Chapel. On return from there, it was apron donning time as I prepared the major part of Sunday's Lunch.

Enjoyed the final episode of the current series of 'Murder In Suburbia', a wonderful lightness of touch and, touchingly human.

I still can't think what happened to the day.

No comments: